Each year the Data Quality Campaign (DQC) hosts Teacher Data Literacy Week to elevate the importance of data literacy and highlight actions to support educators. It’s an effort to bring awareness to what student data is, who needs it, and why.
Whether you are a District Data Expert or a classroom teacher, understanding student data is foundational to the success of each student. While that might seem simple on the surface, as the DQC breaks down the types of data that follow each student, it’s easy to see that there are a lot of moving parts.
Types of Data broken down by the DQC Include:
With so many pieces of student data, it’s essential that data analytic tools support the individuals who use the information first hand with students: teachers.
The Data Quality Campaign puts it this way, “The right data, in the right format, used in the right way, empowers everyone with the information they need to make decisions and take actions that lead to student achievement.” We could not agree more. Our Founder and CEO Russ Davis likes to say,
"Data is only powerful when you do something with it."
SchoolStatus is a one-of-a-kind data analytics platform that integrates all the data points and packages a district is already using alongside communication tools so that conversations are data-informed and productive. Student data should never be out of reach. Whether making decisions within the classroom or building relationships with parents, SchoolStatus was designed to bring student data together with actionable tools.
Not only does SchoolStatus integrate all the data listed above, but the platform is also proud to meet The Data Quality Campaign’s list of requirements for student data:
- Available: Automatic integrations put data in the hands of educators faster- without a spreadsheet nightmare.
- Complete: With historical and current assessment scores alongside teacher notes and even parent communication records (and a whole lot more) the full picture of a student is available to teachers before students ever enter the classroom.
- Relevant: An easy-to-read student card complete with parent and guardian phone numbers puts important student information and the tools to reach parents together, promoting greater frequency and better quality discussions.
- Secure: Our framework is housed in an SOC 1/ISAE 3402 facility, using banking-grade encryption technology. We have designed SchoolStatus with strict FERPA compliance as the baseline rule.
- Effective: Unlimited training at no extra cost as well as 24/7 support is a testament to our dedication to keeping data from getting dusty. Data should be used to its full potential to support student success.
- Communicate: We believe so strongly that data should inform communication that we built award-winning communication tools into the platform.
- Support: The Data Quality Campaign asserts that data should be used to support leaders and educators. By building tools to make data safely accessible to everyone from the data meetings to the parent-teacher conferences, we agree wholeheartedly.
- Improve: Gone are the days of data becoming obsolete because it sat for too long or became hidden in spreadsheets. SchoolStatus empowers educators with the data they need to make strong decisions.
SchoolStatus applauds the work of the Data Quality Campaign and is proud to contribute to Teacher Data Literacy Week!
SchoolStatus is the district-wide communication tool that integrates key student data in order to increase communication among educators, district administrators, and student families. The company’s solution aggregates individual student data, such as state assessments, attendance, and grades in an easy-to-visualize format and offers the option to communicate with student families via call, text, or email. Through SchoolStatus, millions of communications have occurred on the classroom, campus, and district level. For more information about SchoolStatus, visit www.schoolstatus.com.